Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ACM - Day 1 Live Updates

I'll put them all in one post, so check back here for updates before I head to work

Tiger makes a perfect swing off the first tee to get in an ideal position for his approach shot. He makes the second swing of the day, and it looks from his body language the he missed it a bit.

The result? The ball lands about twenty feet away then spins back to about five feet from the hole.

Pretty good.

Brendan Jones' swing looks really good, but if Tiger is on he's going have a great learning experience today.

Stewart Cink just drained a long putt to win his match on the 19th hole.

***

I'm 3-1 on my picks early in the day, but my Gary Player bracket is set up for disaster - 3 of my picks are already behind.

***

At this rate, Tiger's putts per greens in regulation stat is going to be ridiculous - he just lofted one from 230 yards away on the second hole within 5 feet again. No signs of rust at all.

***

2 holes, 1 birdie 1 eagle, and Tiger is 2 UP

And a lesson for all you standardized test takers - the old adage of sticking to your first instinct is important. In my initial picks I had Owen Wilson beating KJ Choi, and Matthew Goggin beating Kenny Perry. I went the other way when I finalized my picks.

The result? Perry and Choi both lost. Ick.

***

OOPS! Tiger overcut his approach to the par 3 third, and it looks like the wind may have gotten it a bit to push it in to the right hand bunker.

Jones is pumped though, and he powered his approach just over the green.

In other action, Phil Mickelson, who did have a 4 UP lead, is giving up some ground to Angel Cabrera who has the advantage on the par three 16th. Phil is 2 UP with 3 to go.

***

Angel Cabrera nails his birdie putt on the 16th hole to crawl back to 1DN with two holes to play.

***

Beautiful chip from Phil behind the green to save par, but Angel Cabrera makes another birdie to square the match!
Fantastic match here as they head to the 18th tee for a win or go home final hole.

***

Paul Casey defeats Aaron Baddeley to lose me my second sweet sixteen pick for the week. Ouch.

***

Angel Cabrera and Phil Mickelson halve the 18th hole with pars to extend the match. Phil living up to his nickname after being unable to finish with a 4UP lead. They go back to the irst hole to play overtime.

I'm hoping Phil pulls this one out so we can see him play Zach Johnson, who just won his first match 3 and 1 over Graeme McDowell.

***

The Big Kat is making a run! Shingo Katayama, with three consecutive birdies, has taken a 1UP lead over Trevor Immelman with four holes left to play.

***

Brendan Jones had a huge opportunity to make birdie and cut the lead to 1 against Tiger, but a little too much speed in the putt and it slides by to the left.

That's it for now. I need to go in to work. Enjoy the coverage!

No comments:

Post a Comment